The occupant of the Chair is a scholar or public figure who has attained distinction in his/her discipline or public affairs as evidenced in:
- an extensive publication record;
- public recognition of his/her contributions to the academy and public life;
- a broad extra-mural record; and
- a commitment to scholarship or public service in any field, including the arts, social and natural sciences, that advance knowledge of, and in, Africa.
During his/her tenure, the occupant will be expected to:
- Deliver public lectures, including an inaugural lecture, which will be published by the University;
- Conduct research and/or create and establish a social or cultural project;
- Produce a publishable manuscript on the research emanating from the tenure, where appropriate;
- Prepare a report detailing the results achieved at the end of the tenure period;
- Assist the University to raise resources to grow the endowment for the Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies;
- Assist in publicizing, and participate in the Biennial Kwame Nkrumah Intellectual and Cultural Festival.
Appointments will typically be for one academic year (August 1- July 31) but with the possibility of extension for a second year.
Salary will depend on the qualifications and experience of the successful applicant but will typically be at the level of Professor (disclosure upon short listing). The Chair will also be provided with:
- Return business class ticket or equivalent from his/her location to Accra.
- Airport pick up.
- Office accommodation including a computer, printer, internet access and necessary office materials.
- A Research Assistant and/or other support staff.
- Accommodation and medical insurance.
- A research grant.
Mode of Application:
- a cover letter expressing interest,
- a curriculum vitae,
- a proposal for the programme of work to be carried out during the period of the tenure
(max 5 pages),and arrange to have three letters of reference sent directly to the Registrar.
Application forms (UAB form 1A) can be found at www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd